Dispelling the Multitude of Misconceptions About It
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or, as it is incorrectly called, The Mormon Church, was founded by their prophet Joseph Smith after a series of Heavenly Apparitions which commenced in the Spring of 1820 in the United States of America.
In a nutshell: During the pre Christian era one of the prophets of the time was guided by God to come to the North American continent with a contingent of people and establish, what would later be, the foundation for a new Church that was to manifest itself toward the End of These Times, that is, in the Latter Days.
According to the Book of Mormon, Jesus Christ manifested Himself to the descendants of the North American original group after His Resurrection and Ascension into Heaven, personally taught them His Gospel (1) and formed a branch of His Church. [(1) For this and all Notes refer to the last page.]
As opposed to the carefully orchestrated popular belief, the Book of Mormon is not a replacement to the Holy Bible. In accordance to their Faith, it is a Book to be meditated upon in conjunction with the Holy Bible.
Most of Centuries long Established Christendom discount The Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as "just one more sect" because,
among other things:
it is new;
(b) its members feel strongly about going out and gently Evangelize the world;
(c) it is an American home-grown church ("and you know how those Americans are...", non Americans will say);
(d) they are incorrectly accused of fostering and promoting polygamy; and
(e) the story of why and how it was founded sound too unreal, almost, like Science Fiction.
All of the above reasons are sophomoric, at best, and ridiculous, at worst. If we apply the same critical criteria to the Centuries long Established Christianity, then, it too should be discounted without even having to take into account the atrocities committed by the Centuries long Established Christendom over the centuries in the Name of God.
Without promoting nor endorsing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we still must raise some very intriguing points about it, which, the seeker of the Truth, should ponder about:
What is the condition of the world and of the Monotheistic Faiths after almost 2,000 years of Christianity?
1. Iniquity reigns supreme; worse than ever before. It is not a matter of living immorally. It is a matter of living amorally; reducing the Law of God to "guidelines" and sinfulness to "a justifiable natural human trait".
2. Evangelization, shortly after the
Apostles and early Evangelists died, quickly became just a matter of
establishing Spheres of Influence for personal and institutional gain.
Results: The state of affairs the world is in today. Unless the reader
wishes to believe that evil is stronger than God. [Warning: The subconscious
acceptance that "evil is stronger" by means of an attitude of
despondency such as "What can we do?"
is a grave sin against the Goodness of God - and maybe even a sin
against the Holy Spirit of God.]
3. The Holy Scriptures have been so frequently translated and re-translated and interpreted and re-interpreted that people are hard pressed to know what is the true Word of God and what is The Word of God according to This or That Special Interest Group. There are so many concrete examples of this intellectual rape of the Sacred Scriptures that volumes could be written about it.
4. Catholic Christians, Protestant Christians and Muslims keep killing each other in the Name of God. [How stupid can we be in believing the validity of such abomination].
5. Child sexual abuse appears to have become a world-wide past time for many and a Vacation Destination for others. Poverty among children increased 85% in four years in Washington, D.C., the capital of the mighty United States of America. 110 million Latin Americans live below the level of poverty. Over 55,000,000 of them, children. There are over 900,000 children engaged in prostitution in Thailand alone. (2)
6. Every time God tries to admonish and warn us through messages and/or apparitions of the Virgin Mary, the mystical event is turned into money making enterprise and "to hell" with the messages (3). "After all, this is the 21st Century!" the faithful would be told just before the Collection Plate is passed, "just in case..."
What happened? Did God fail? or, instead, Did those few entrusted by God to help in the harnessing of Creation, for the benefit of mankind and His Glorification, have managed to handsomely live off the Word of God while keeping the majority of the World Population as so many Lazarus’ [Luke 16:19-31] waiting for a crumb to fall off the Ecclesiastical table? (4)
How does The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fit in the above illustrated and disturbing picture of the world as it is today? They try to live [7 days a week, 24 hours a day] the Word of God as closely as possible while helping in restoring the Faith in God and the Creation demolished over the last 2,000 years.
This writer (5), a non fanatical and an 'in extremis' practitioner of the Catholic Faith, considers that "The Mormons" should not be discounted as just "another sect"; instead the zeal with which they live their Faith should serve as an example to us all.
We must look into our own backyards and clean out the filthy debris that has accumulated over the last 2,000 years before we go out passing judgment on the Faith held by other groups. (6)
The Portuguese (Catholic) Episcopal Commission publicly proclaimed such intent and started to implement it in 1995. Perhaps the remaining Episcopal Conferences throughout the world should follow suit. (7)
(1) Not a different Gospel than that taught in the Holy Land. For great details on their history and beliefs, visit their Site
(2) Condition of the Children of the World
(3) The Roman Catholic Church Turns Its Back to the Heavenly Requests Through Fátima
(4) Wolves is Sheep's Clothing
(5) Biographical Sketch of miguel de Portugal
(6) "Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward." [St. Mark 9:39-41]
(7) Constructive Actions Taken by the Catholic Church in Portugal
Document originally prepared on June, 1997. Salamanca, Spain
Copyright 1999 - 2005 by The M+G+R Foundation. All rights reserved.
The M+G+R Foundation
UPDATE BOARD Listing the Latest Updates to this Domain
HOME PAGE - English
HOME PAGE - Español
HOME PAGE - Portugues
Back Up HOME PAGE
If the above dated image does not appear on this document, it means that you are not viewing the original document from our servers. Should you have reason to doubt the authenticity of the document, we recommend that you access our server again and click on the "Refresh" or "Reload" button of your Browser to view the original document.
If you wish to contact The M+G+R Foundation, please Click Here and follow the instructions.
You may freely reproduce and distribute this document as long as: (1) Appropriate credit is given as to its source; (2) No changes are made in the text without prior written consent; and (3) No charge is made for it.